Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Wisconsin's War on Women


Surely, everyone has heard about Scott Walker repealing Wisconsin's equal pay law. This is the law that enabled victims of wage discrimination to have to recourse in court. Now, they don't. But this isn't what I want to write about. I want to talk about the fools who passed this and think this is a good thing for their state. Sen. Glenn Grothman (R) is one such individual.


Repealing the law was a no-brainer for state Sen. Glenn Grothman (R), who led the effort because of his belief that pay discrimination is a myth driven by liberal women’s groups. Ignoring multiple studies showing that the pay gap exists, Grothman blamed females for prioritizing childrearing and homemaking instead of money, saying, “Money is more important for men.”

I'd like to take the time here to remind everyone that this is the 21st century. Clearly, no one has reminded Mr. Grothman of this fact. I don't understand how anyone today can get away with saying things like that. I suppose the people of Wisconsin could always petition to recall this guy but they already tried that for the union busting law and he's still there.

This reminds me of an incident at work where a female coworker was dismissed by a customer that he deemed didn't know what she was talking about and said, “let's get a man over here.” My coworker said that he get's to deal with her and that will have to be good enough. I was only called over when there actually was something she needed my help with. At the time I was helping him, he didn't know that I already knew what he had said to her. Of course I put on a happy face because that's part of the job but I was seething inside. I'm fairly certain that I was more pissed about the whole thing than she was.

Anyway, on goes the War on Women. We do get to capitalize that now, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment