Thursday, April 26, 2012

Typical Nebraska Politics



I find Nebraska politics disgusting. I once said that I was ashamed to be from Nebraska because of it. I don't exactly feel that way anymore because Nebraska, like every state really, has a rich history. The history of Omaha, for instance, is very interesting and really embodies that pioneer spirit. It also shows how cutthroat people can be but that's not important right now. From the reason the capitol is named “Lincoln” to the reason Omaha grew as big as it was as fast as it did is all a great story. However, that is obviously not the problem I have with the state.

I realize that I live deep in Red State America, but we have shown that we can have a purple streak. Because Nebraska, along with Maine, is strange about the way electoral votes are awarded in presidential elections, Obama took one of Nebraska's electoral votes in 2008. I know I was happy about that and am proud to say I was a part of it. Nebraska has also had Democratic governors and senators, though I'm not sure Ben Nelson should really be counted as such.

My problem is with the petty nature of the attack ads... ok, so that is not exclusive to Nebraska but stay with me. In such a strong red state the attacks, at least in the primaries, seem to center on making each opponent seem like a big, bad, baby-killing, money wasting, hippie loving Democrat.

There is an ad currently running against Bruning for the senate race. It talks about Bruning having a high spending record when he was in the Nebraska state legislature and then praising the stimulus. It does this while showing the Capitol building with Nancy Pelosi, the President and Bruning all in the background. As if he had something in common with them. I know this is a pretty tame ad and they will only get worse as we get closer to the primary on May 15th.

Here's the ad:





Club for Growth Action is the sponsor of the ad. I looked them up on OpenSecrets.org and they have about $5 million on hand right now. They have not given any money to a candidate but I would say it is safe to assume they are not supporting Bruning. An interesting/frustrating thing is that zero contributions to this PAC are from Nebraska and yet they stick their nose in our business.

I truly cannot wait for the primary to be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment